Next to cloudy water, algae may be one of the most troubling and common issues that pool owners face, especially when opening their pools in the spring. This is because, sadly, algae can be caused for many reasons, making it not only hard to get rid of but also difficult to prevent.
How To Prevent Algae In Your Pool
Luckily, however, with some key products and a regular weekly maintenance schedule, pool owners can easily prevent algae from growing in their pool, or at least get rid of it quickly, keeping the summer fun going without any prolonged problems or interruptions.
So, if you’re a pool owner that struggles with algae every season or has algae and is unsure of what to do, check out our product recommendations and maintenance tips and tricks.
Your Weekly Spring Pool Maintenance Schedule
During the Spring months that your pool is open, your main goal should be to balance your water levels, helping to remove any phosphates that you may have. It’s also important to go the extra mile to set your pool up for success for the entire season. While this may sound time-consuming, it actually only takes 3 steps and 15 minutes each week to complete.
Here’s your weekly spring maintenance process:
- Fill your chlorinator or skimmer with Omni Stabilized Chlorine Tablets, or set your salt chlorinator, to ensure you will have 2-4 ppm of Chlorine.
- Oxidize your pool weekly with Omni Shimmer. One bag per 40,000L (please make sure to properly dose your pool. Adding too little will not accomplish its task.)
- Add 1 capful of Natural Chemistry Pool Perfect Max per 40,000L directly through your skimmer.
The entire process, from start to finish should only take about 15-minutes each week and will leave you with more time to enjoy your pool, rather than worrying about it all summer long!
Algae Maintenance Tips and Tricks
Having been in the pool industry for as long as we have, we understand the scare that algae’s presence can cause. Not only is it unsightly, but it indicates that your pool has bacteria present, which may result in a hazardous swimming environment for you and your family.
This is why we’ve developed our Algae Away Kit. Complete with everything you need to prevent algae growth in your pool, protect against future algae growth, and quickly destroy ALL types of algae that can grow in this environment. If you’re one who struggles with algae for your pool, then this kit will work wonders for you all season!
It’s also important to follow and use some simple tips and tricks to ensure your pool is clean, clear, and not creating a breeding ground for algae. Here are some of our go-to maintenance tricks that have helped many pool owners stay clear from this unsightly bacteria and enjoy their pool all season long:
- Make sure that your pool has the opportunity to turn the water over through the filter at least 2-3 times per day. Circulation and filtration have as much of a role in clean and clear water as your chemicals do.
- Point your return jets downward and at a 45-degree angle away from the skimmer. This will ensure the freshly filtered water is pushed to the bottom of the pool and the dirty water will be brought up to the skimmer to be filtered.
- Brush down the walls, stairs, and floor of your pool weekly before you add the Shimmer. This will ensure that anything on these surfaces will be able to be oxidized, preventing algae growth.
- Make sure that you remove your solar blanket during the day. It is difficult for the sun to penetrate deep into the water to heat the pool, and it is very difficult to properly skim and filter the water if the blanket is left on. We understand that you want your pool temperature to be inviting, but overuse of one’s solar blanket is not good!
Pool algae are far from ideal and unfortunately one of the most common issues we see pool owners go through. But as we said before, your success in preventing algae and maintaining a clean and inviting pool is all through a weekly maintenance schedule and the proper products.
In fact, if you’re using our program (Algae Away Kit) and still have an algae issue, we will happily supply the chemicals required to eliminate it. That is how confident we are that this program is the best choice for you and your pool. So, if you haven’t already done so, feel free to order your Algae Away Kit for pick up in-store, and save yourself the headache and stress of trying to get rid of algae this pool season. Trust us, you’ll be sure glad you did!